How to Stop Procrastinating and Overcome Laziness in 4 Easy Steps

Do you find yourself asking, “Why am I so lazy?” Do you have trouble with overcoming procrastination and getting into action, even when you clearly know it’s in your best interest to do so? Would you feel better if you could once and for all, finally stop being lazy and put procrastinating behind you forever?

Procrastination and laziness rob us not only of productivity and effectiveness, but also of something far greater: Purpose. In addition to regaining productivity by beating these disempowering habits, you can regain direction in your life.

Typically, we attempt to overcome lethargy and laziness through willpower, by attempting to force ourselves into action. This never works! As human beings we have very little willpower that we can use to exert force on ourselves. Force simply does not work in life.

There is a better way. By working smarter, not harder. Here is the solution for overcoming laziness and being able to finally stop procrastinating.

Got Goals?

We procrastinate because we lack MOTIVATION. And we lack motivation because we either lack GOALS, or have lost sight of our goals and our ability to achieve them. For a life that is productive, effective and purposeful, it is essential to have goals.

As human beings, we are motivated by two forces: Fear and desire, or pain and pleasure. We subconsciously move away from something we do not want, something that causes us pain, and towards something we do want, something that provides some form of pleasure. And by understanding this basic aspect of human psychology, you can gain leverage over yourself to get into action with effortless ease.

And by following this simple 4-step system to overcoming procrastination and laziness, you will be able to gain infinitely more satisfaction out of your life, and exponentially greater results.

I suggest writing out the following exercise on a piece of paper and reviewing it daily. This will keep you on track and moving forward.

How to Overcome Laziness and Stop Procrastinating in 4 Steps

1. “What do I want to avoid?”

Ask yourself this question, and answer it with a clear image of the consequences of not taking action. For example, if you are putting off going to the gym, what’s the ultimate consequence of not doing so? Poor health, an unfit body, lack of energy, susceptibility to disease, poor self-esteem, etc. Or, for example, if you find yourself unable to sit down and meditate, the consequences might be lack of clarity, increased stress and anxiety, susceptibility to emotional problems, lack of productivity, failure to cultivate your spiritual potential, etc.

2. “What do I want to gain?”

As you answer this question and reflect upon it, have a very clear mental image of what you can gain by taking action. In the case of exercising daily, the gains might be a strong and healthy body, increased energy, greater self-esteem, a healthier lifestyle, a happier psychology, etc. Or in the case of enjoying a meditation practice, the gains may be stability, balance, peace, calm, clarity, focus, happiness and gratitude, etc.

3. “What’s the next step?

What’s the next thing you need to do to begin moving towards your goal? This could be joining a health club. Or waking up 20 minutes earlier to meditate. Whatever the next step is, clearly identify it and write it out. And DO IT.

It’s important here to realize that you only need to take the NEXT STEP. You cannot jump to the top of a mountain in a single bound, so don’t try! One step at a time. Steady as she goes.

4. Repeat Steps 1-3.

Go through this process every single day. Spend a few minutes visualizing what you want to avoid, what you can gain, identify the next step and take it.

Conclusion

When we are pulled by a vision of what we can achieve, and we focus on it daily, getting into action happens automatically. It’s only when we lose sight of our goal that we succumb to laziness and fall into procrastination. After all, how what’s the point of getting out of bed and into action if you don’t know where you’re going?

Tags:

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.

16 Responses to “How to Stop Procrastinating and Overcome Laziness in 4 Easy Steps”

1. deyinka April 26, 2011 9:23 am
    #

Very Helpfull tip.. Thank you so much. This can be very helpfull to young people and adults aswell.
    Thanks..

2. Guest May 15, 2011 1:09 pm
    #

Thank you for this video, very inspiring, and so simple;) Great video. Namaste.

3. Page Lynch October 3, 2011 9:10 am
    #

I’m a filmmaker, and I have a LOT of friends that really struggle with laziness. I made a comedy video about it: http://youtu.be/kpShPFMp1h8
    But it is quite an issue. I like what you’ve said, but I think another aspect can be that money drives most of our careers. The problem is, money comes and goes. What we really need is to find our talents and what we love doing; things we’re good at and work for hours at, but it never feels like work. For me, that’s making films. Then laziness and procrastination (with the setting of goals and steps) becomes a natural thing to overcome. Great article!

4. Ihsan October 3, 2011 10:44 am
    #

Great video Page, nothing like humor to get a point across!

5. bb March 3, 2012 8:04 pm
    #

this exactly what I am looking and the timing is perfect.

thank you!

6. Madhu May 22, 2012 9:56 am

How to overcome laziness- Just google it ^-^

7. LLCOOLJ July 9, 2012 2:25 pm
    #

IT’S NOT WORKING – NOW ALL I DO IS LOOK AT THIS PAGE TO FEEL BETTER AND i have been doing so for a month – this is my procrastinating page
    SHITSHITSHIT

8. benjamin July 10, 2012 11:04 am
    #

I have taught about your idea and i think you are perfectly right and trust me i will make it and be the world most greatest celebrity of all time.Benjamin

9. kingdomgurl July 21, 2012 6:03 am
    #

Can you give an example of putting off writing a book as you did with going to the gym.
    Thanks much

10. Rayray August 28, 2012 11:08 pm
    #

The best article I’ve read so far on this topic, thank you. Been feeling like my life’s spiraling out of control because of my laziness. Just struggle to get myself to do what I know I have to do. @Page lynch I couldn’t agree more with your comment. It’s indeed about doing what we’re passionate about and that’s what I’m going to do. Sick and tired of being sick and tired my lack of direction.

11. BUNNY October 25, 2012 2:49 pm
    #

Thought my life was going well til MS showed its wicked face in my life. Now lack of motivation is the least of my problems. I wanna hit my gym so bad but I just won’t go. And the crazy part is…it’s in my basement! I’m a sad case.

12. peter November 11, 2012 1:51 am
    #

Thank you who was chosen by God to produce this small helpful piece of work more powers to your elbows. God blessings i give you with his fear in me

thanks peter the rock

13. learn how to stop procrastinating July 6, 2013 9:47 pm
    #

My brother recommended I might like this website. He was totally
    right. This post truly made my day. You can not imagine just how much time I had spent for this information!
    Thanks!

14. Eileen Murphy October 17, 2013 5:08 pm

Hi there! I know this is kinnda off topic nevertheless I’d figured I’d
    ask. Would you be interested in exchanging links oor maybe guest writing a blog article or vice-versa?
    My blog addresses a lot of tthe same topics aas yours and I think we could greatly benefit from each other.
    If you are interested feel free to ssend me an e-mail. I llok foraard to hearing
    from you! Excellent blog by the way!

15. Leonard July 18, 2014 9:00 am
    #

We are a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community.
    Your web site offered us with valuable info to work on. You’ve done an impressive job and our entire community will be thankful to you.

Look into my web-site – website (Leonard)

Trackbacks/Pingbacks