Laylatul Qadr, or the Night of Power and Destiny, falls within an odd night in the last ten days of the holy and sacred month of Ramadan, and carries within it the blessings and grace of an entire lifetime.
It was on the holy night of Laylatul Qadr that the Holy Qur’an was revealed to the blessed and noble Prophet Muhammad ﷺ, and to capture the divine light, grace and blessings of this special and powerful night is unlike anything else.
The Key to Laylatul Qadr
Verily, We have sent it down within the Night of Power.
And what will explain to you what is the Night of Power?
The Night of Power is better than a thousand months.
The Angels and the Spirit descend therein by the permission and decree of their Lord.
Peace Is until the emergence of dawn.
— Surah al-Qadr [Holy Qur’an, 97]
Laylatul Qadr is the uniquely sacred night in which the mercy and light of God descends most powerfully upon creation. In order to experience the blessings of this sacred celestial event, one must do their best to be prepared.
Laylatul Qadr, the Night of Power and Destiny, is a night of divine light. Thus, in order to be open to receiving divine light and power from the presence of God, we must empty ourselves and our hearts from density and that which veils the heart from light.
We experience the love of God when we purify our hearts of all that is worldly, all that is dense and based in the world of form and appearance, the world of matter and materialism. In other words, we must become empty and purified of attachments to all that is worldly and temporal.
When thus empty and pure, like the blessed and holy Prophet Muhammad ﷺ who would consistently meditate in stillness and surrender, we become able to receive grace from the Presence of God and attract divine light and power to our hearts and souls, thereby preparing us to be in the best position to receive the grace of Laylatul Qadr.
The best way to meet Laylatul Qadr is to develop the capacity for stillness, for surrender and for deep internal peace. By letting go of all worldly concerns, by surrendering all things to Allah Almighty, we develop true faith, trust and reliance, and so reach to the reality of divine servanthood.
Dunya, the world of form and appearance, fills the heart with density. This density then veils us from the Light and Presence of God. To transcend dunya, we must transcend time. And we transcend time, which is essentially past and future, by becoming entirely still, quiet and internally surrendered. This is the path to clarity and to prescience, and it is the key to the Divine Presence of God.
In seeking to connect with the Light and Presence of God, we must know that we can only do so through the heart, and this means surrendering the mind. This is the very purpose of al-Islam. And it is the surrender of the mind that makes possible the evolution, transformation and metamorphosis of the human being beyond ego-consciousness that is the very goal of both religion and spirituality.
Suggested Practices for Laylatul Qadr
- The Holy Qur’an. This is the best night to recite and meditate with the Holy Qur’an, for it is in this holy night that the sacred recitation was revealed. Seek to immerse yourself in the experience by connecting with your breath and feeling the experience, becoming one with it, as your recite.
- Dhikr. Engage in deep meditation and practice with the recitation of sacred phrases of tasbih, using the blessed mantras to bring the mind into stillness, surrender and peace. A few suggestions for dhikr are:
- La ilaha il Allah. There is no god but God.
- Allah, Allah. The Holy Name of God that encompasses all of the Attributes and Qualities.
- Astaghfirullah. Seek the forgiveness and grace of God, liberating your heart and soul from the past, with this sacred recitation.
- Salawat. Send abundant peace and blessings upon the blessed Prophet Muhammad ﷺ.
- Prayer. Spend at least a portion of the nights of Ramadan in qiyam (salah), standing in prayer and fully engaged in the experience of being in the Presence of God. You can deepen your experience and state of presence by becoming one with your breath and feeling the experience, particularly of standing upright, which is a unique honor given to mankind as deputies of the Divine.
- Meditation. Deepen your capacity and experience of stillness and surrender by sitting in pure presence, relaxing deeply and letting go of everything, ultimately thereby letting go of yourself. Become an empty vessel awaiting to be filled with the Light of God.
Experience the light, power and grace of Laylatul Qadr by becoming still in a state of humility and surrender, wholly and completely turning towards the Face of God by turning away from the world, and emptying the heart of all that is transient and transitory, awakening to that which is Eternal.
To your divine and eternal success.